Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Mr. Handy Man

"May I help you?" I asked.
He looked down at the counter, swaying uneasily. "I need a suit for a small boy," he said softly. "He's five years old."
"Very good," I said. I pulled out a rental form and began to write. "Is there anyone else in the party that will need a suit?"
He shook his head no.
"Is he the ring bearer?" I asked. "We'd want to try to match his suit to the groom's."
"No. He won't be."
I made a note on the form.
"All right. What day would you like to reserve the suit for?"
"We'd like to purchase the suit," he said solemnly.
I set the form aside. "That may not be in your best interest," I explained. "These young boys grow so fast. I'd strongly suggest that you rent."
He just nodded.
"I just don't want you to be disappointed. The length of the coat cannot be extended, only the sleeves and pant length. He may grow out of it in less than a year."
The man looked up at me, initiating eye contact for the first time. "We'll be burying him in it," he said softly.
The words fell like hammers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home